17th Century

Llwyn-Cyntefin is the westernmost of the larger manor houses of the Usk valley and lies next to the Army camp on the north side of the river Usk. which dates, in part, from 1634. It was built by Hugh Penry, who was vicar of Llywel and later of Defynnog. Later it passed through marriage to the Williams family of Abercamlais, the next large house to the east, which lies just outside this area. Llwyn-Cyntefin was sold in the 1940s, but much of its land still belongs to the Abercamlais estate. This land is the site of one of the most important sheep sales in the locality which is held annually in the second week in September. This is the sale of stock by Cnewr Estates Ltd., which is the largest farm of the district.